Friday, October 9, 2009

Divorce!

Did that title get your attention? The sad reality in this town is the fact that if Nancy and I were to be divorced, we could both serve on the town charter reform commission. Currently, we both can't serve since we are family. I love the way our town government is out in front promoting family values!

Originally, the question of family members serving together was brought up by our recently fired town manager. Although he proclaimed piously that he simply wanted to include more citizens on boards and commissions, many of us thought he was simply trying to exclude certain persons annoying to him and his agenda. Why the commissioners who fired this town finance wizard persist in this policy is beyond me. Could you imagine the uproar if the commissioners said that there can't be too many persons of color on a commission? Their position on the family is just as harmful to the social fabric.

Ridgely has come a long way in the 14 years that I have been serving on the planning and zoning commission. I'll never forget the debate on passing our first preservation guidelines which subsequently saved the endangered old homes on Central Ave. Yet, another town manager stood up and denounced us saying "ah hah, it is about preservation". Well, yes it was. I suppose he was trying to appeal to those who think preservation is a dirty word or would get in the way of developer profits.

A politician can appeal to our better or lesser angels. In Ridgely, the fallen angels local demagogues appeal to include the haters of anything old--everything from old homes to old trees. The difference between Ridgely and a Podunk is its traditions! It's sad the way our town is divided. The progressive coalition which protects the town's heritage, and small town quality of life, has barely won the last few elections and is always close to defeat by mediocrity.

Along with my wife, I have spent an enormous amount of time on this town over the years. There have been successes but only with constant vigilance. This has a price. I wonder how my daughter's life would be different if so many of my waking hours hadn't been spent worrying about the town? You don't want my services on the charter commission --well, throw me in the brier patch! I hereby resign all my other town commission positions too.

8 comments:

Marylandavehome said...

No!! You were the only one with any sense up there. You did a great job. Thank-you.

Wymzie said...

Common sense and politics are never in the same room....Stephanie Burke

BossHogg said...

C'mon down to Pocomoke...

It's a family affair!

At least you were able to get rid of the city manager and don't have city councilmen's family & lackeys running the open air crack market.

Anonymous said...

you know you are the asshole who worked to get two of those assholes elected...serves you right!

Toby Gearhart said...

Well, thank you too! My father in law told me i was making a mistake joining p/z back in '95 -- said it was a great way to make enemies...but hey, it's an honor to have enemies like you...

Wymzie said...

Isn't it nice to know that you have the support of the community that you are trying to make better behind you?

Anonymous said...

I guess this means Nancy is going to be on the charter committee then. Nice to see who wears the pants over at your house... But thank you for all the time you invested in trying to do what you thought was the best for the town. While not everyone agreed with you on all things, at least you tried.

Toby Gearhart said...

Well thanks for the left handed compliment there anonymous. However, it's not a case of "who wears the pants", if I defer to someone who is actually both more willing and able to do the job..too many around here have held the fact that she is female against her making her job as town commissioner much more difficult than it needed to have been. Anyhow, I have a full plate of projects and feel I accomplished my main goal on p/z. --the private sector preservation and rehabilitation of all the fine old homes on Central Ave. as well as elsewhere in town.